Friday, September 23, 2011

This one's about politics

I was going to try to avoid talking about politics for as long as possible.  Apparently that's less than 24 hours for me.  Don't worry, I'm not one of those "the other side is all Commies/Racists" types.  I'm taking issue with a particular position by a specific politician, and will do so solely on the merits of the argument without bringing said politicians personal history or perspectives into account.
The specific issue I am referring to is a proposed change to the way federal government would work, as proposed by Republican Presidential Candidate Rick Perry.  In his book Fed Up! Our Fight to Save America from Washington he wrote the following:
"...allow Congress to override the Supreme Court with a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate, which risks increased politicization of judicial decisions, but also has the benefit of letting the people stop the Court from unilaterally deciding policy."
The way it's phrased here, it doesn't sound too bad.  It is suggested as a way to prevent the Supreme Court from having too much power.  However, if this idea were to come into effect, it would completely undo the system of checks and balances that has kept this nation great for centuries.  Why?  Quick question: Who decides if a law is unconstitutional?  Answer: The Supreme Court.
If this plan were to come to fruition, a Congress with a two-thirds majority in both houses by either party could pass any law, regardless of whether it's constitutional or not.  I don't think congress (even if it's controlled by the people I agree with) should have the ability to disregard the constitution.  
Furthermore, I don't think Perry is an idiot.  I disagree with him on many points more than this one.  But I don't think he's too stupid to see this.  And the fact that he would be willing to advocate this scares me.  I'm not saying that Perry himself scares me, so much as I am saying that a person running for president who would suggest a way for Congress to evade the constitution honestly frightens me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment